Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Educational Adventures

            Earlier this year I decided I was finally going to go to college.  My higher education was put off years ago by my continued ill health and it wasn’t until recently that I felt I could finally handle continuing my schooling.  Thus began my search for a major that would work best for me.  It has been an interesting adventure.

            I have always had a number of interests, all of them on opposite ends of the spectrum.  Naturally, when I sat down to compile a list of possibilities for college, I was greeted with a group of utterly unrelated majors and a minor headache.  How does one decide which interest to pursue?  Do you pick the one that is most practical?  Or do you choose the one that excites you most?  Is there a middle ground?  Do you write them all on slips of paper, throw them in a hat and choose at random?  Do I leave the decision up to my dog Jasper?  Is there even a right answer when it comes to making up your mind what subject you would like to spend thousands of dollars to learn?

            Despite my initial lack of ability to choose a major, I am excited (and if I’m being honest a little scared- its been six years since I was in a class room).  Looking over my list of possible electives makes me want to jump around like a little kid.  I mean I can take a Yoga class for my physical education credit (certainly beats running laps and playing dodge ball!).  I could also learn Arabic (to ease my someday travels to Egypt), diagnose my entire family after taking an abnormal psychology class, or introduce myself to planetary astrology.  “Beam me up Scotty!”  (sorry, couldn’t help myself)

            With all these ideas spinning around in my head you will be happy to know that I did finally make a decision- I think (and no, my dog didn't help).  It looks like I will be majoring in Social Science Education.  I love history and if I procure my masters I can work in a museum.  On the practical side I can teach (do not fear, your children are safe in my hands- I can’t possibly mess them up teaching them history.  Not like I could if I was teaching them chemistry.  I should never be allowed a job where playing with combustible chemicals is required!  But I'm rambling…)

            I will be starting at HACC, Lebanon Campus in the fall (provided all my financial aid comes through) and I will be sure to post all of my adventures here, despite what will no doubt be a crippling amount of homework.  I’m sure I will have some great stories!  Wish me luck (I'll need it)!
           
           Hoping this wasn’t a stupid idea,
           Pandora

No comments:

Post a Comment